Cut through the bitterness of this charred radicchio salad with sweet figs and parmesan, the perfect complement to any festive main.
- 2 small heads radicchio, cut into 1 inch slices
- 3 tbsp (157296) Alfina’s Balsamic Vinegar of Modena, plus more as needed
- 1 ½ tsp salt, plus more as needed
- Pinch black pepper
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus more as needed
- 1 cup fresh figs
- 3 cups arugula
- 50g (15975) Perfect Italiano Shaved Parmesan Cheese
1. To cook the raddichio
In a large bowl, toss the radicchio with 2 tablespoons of the vinegar, 1 teaspoon of the salt and pinch of pepper. Heat a large sauté pan over high heat while marinating. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil.
When the oil looks very hot (almost smoking), carefully add the radicchio to the pan so it sits in one layer. You may need to do this in batches. Cook on one side for 2 to 4 minutes or until charred and just starting to soften. Transfer to a large bowl.
2. Toss and serve
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar and 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice to the bowl. Toss in the arugula and taste. Add salt, lemon juice or vinegar to taste. Let the radicchio cool to room temperature.
Add the remaining oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper into a bowl with the figs and toss. Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the salad and serve.
As seen in