Smooth, rich and delicious, serve this very moreish chocolate pecan pie with whipped cinnamon cream or a scoop of ice cream for the ultimate mouth-watering experience.
- Very lightly cream butter and icing sugar.
- Lightly beat yolks, salt, vanilla and zest together.
- Add yolk mixture to creamed mixture.
- Lightly mix in flour without overworking.
- Wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for 30mins.
- Roll out pastry and line a 20cm fluted flan mould, dock with fork and rest in fridge for 30mins.
- Blind bake.
- Melt butter and chocolate over a Bain Marie.
- Place golden syrup, treacle and sugar in a pot and dissolve over heat, then bring to the boil and simmer 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat to cool 4-5 minutes.
- Briefly beat eggs in a mixing bowl with a fork then stir in warm chocolate mixture.
- Lightly whisk in syrup mixture until combined and set aside to cool.
- Pour into blind baked pastry shell and bake 10 minutes at 180°C until surface is just set. Remove from oven to arrange pecan nuts on top. Return to oven to bake for another 30 minutes approximately until set to a soft mousse like structure.
Note: Allowing the surface to just set before placing on the nuts prevents them from sinking into the mixture.
6. Allow to cool on a rack and remove from mould. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
- Lightly mix cinnamon into cream and chill until ready to serve.