Little Buddha bowls make a fabulous substantial canapé or serve on a platter as a part of a grazing station. The recipe can be easily adapted according to the required number of serves.
- Leader Falafel Bites (193002), warmed
- Toum or hommus, to serve
- Baba ganoush, to serve
- Lemon wedge, to serve
Makes approximately 12 x ½ cup serves.
- 60ml olive oil
- 3 cups cooked and cooled quinoa
- 1 cup cooked and cooled barley
- 1 cup cooked and cooled brown rice
- 1 cup (130g) nuts, toasted and chopped (walnuts, hazelnuts, pistachios, macadamias and pine nuts all work well)
- 1 lemon, finely zested
- Sea salt
- 60ml olive oil
- 40ml pomegranate syrup
- 2 teaspoons sweet smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1.2kg pumpkin, cut into chunks (make sure your pumpkin is ripe and the flesh dense and dry)
- Sea salt flakes
Herb and hazelnut vinaigrette
Makes approximately 450ml.
- 150ml olive oil
- 100ml roasted hazelnut oil
- 1 cup parsley and coriander stems
- ⅓ cup 40g roasted hazelnuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 80ml apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white or red miso
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1 cup baby rocket
- 1 cup watercress
- 1 cup baby mustard greens or radicchio
1. For the nutty grains
Heat a large fry pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and quinoa and sauté until it becomes crispy. Add in the barley, rice and nuts, toss together and heat until warmed through. Stir through the lemon zest and add sea salt to season. Set aside.
2. For the spiced pumpkin
Preheat the oven to 160˚C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Mix the olive oil, pomegranate syrup, spices, and coriander. Season to taste. Add the pumpkin pieces to the tray, pour over the pomegranate syrup mixture, and toss to coat. Roast for about 30 minutes until golden.
3. For the herb and hazelnut vinaigrette with peppery greens
Put all the ingredients into a small food processor and blitz until smooth. Taste for seasoning. In a bowl, assemble baby rocket, watercress and mustard greens and dress with herb and hazelnut vinaigrette.
4. To assemble the Buddha bowls (approx. quantities per serve)
Spoon ¾ cup of nutty grains into your serving dishes, arrange 60g of spiced pumpkin on top and add 1 ½ Leader Falafel Bites (193002). Add ¼ cup of the dressed peppery greens, 15g toum or hommus and 30g baba ganoush. Serve with a wedge of lemon.